Users Online: 634 
Webportal.com.my - Malaysian Forum Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to deal with dementia patient (my mom)?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
didicempaka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote didicempaka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by amigobro amigobro wrote:

He could.. But i would suggest DONT. As you mentioned dementia is a serious disease so dementia patients should be monitor and taken care of properly. I doubt that housemaid would be qualify to take care of dementia patients believe me. Last time my maid ran away because she cant take it any longer taking care of my in law.Cry
ya maybe youre. dementia patients really do need a serious supervision. maids might not be able to handle them. its quite stressful. but if like that so hard la. how?

Edited by didicempaka - 22 Nov 2018 at 4:57pm
amigobro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amigobro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by didicempaka didicempaka wrote:

ya maybe youre. dementia patients really do need a serious supervision. maids might not be able to handle them. its quite stressful. but if like that so hard la. how?
It is really stressful. In my case previously one of my in law's daughter had to quit her job to take care of her mother. But since tt seems like doesnt has anybody to support her, this seems like and option.

Originally posted by jojomojo jojomojo wrote:

I got the recommendation from an office friend of a website caregiverasia. They have flexible services, so you can try and look one that suits you and your mom's needs..

Edited by amigobro - 22 Nov 2018 at 5:07pm
amigobro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amigobro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2018 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by Kuruma Kuruma wrote:

Story time..when my grandpa was still around... my mother's sibling would take turns on who to care for our grandpa... that way, my whole extended fam always have a gap for resting time, working time and family time. and because of the small time gap that we had, us family were abled to cherish the moments we took care of him instead of taking it as a burden. 

We were also very very lucky to have found a part timer that would stay for a few days when everyone is too busy. We offered her because she is a neighbour and we know her educational background... But I'm not sure if you have someone nearby that could look after him.. I would highly suggest u search for someone that majored in health and medical line.   

Where do you find the part timer? Hows the price rate? Based on hour or 1 time serve? Its may be really helpful if people can find someone with health and medical major though
shadajie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadajie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by planetuntiil planetuntiil wrote:

Originally posted by shadajie shadajie wrote:

Originally posted by planetuntiil planetuntiil wrote:

First of all, why wouldn't she want any help? I mean its not like you're gonna send her to a nursery or the old folks home right? We owe them our life so doing so would break their heart. Plus not all nursery are good. Some have really bad service

Yeah i agree with this. TT should not consider that. We wouldn't want to have case like this happening all over again

Where was thatCry ?? I cant watch stuffs like this. I get too emotional. I hope the people who sent his or her loved ones to an old folks home can see this video and realize that the possibilities are there. There are always other alternatives

It was 2 years ago at Melaka and went viral. But come to think of it, try to imagine what happens to all those victims that were not viral. I figure there must be a lot of cases like this that are not known to public or media. Which scares me
shadajie View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadajie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by migujem migujem wrote:

Originally posted by zhengmuu zhengmuu wrote:

I care for my mom who was diagnosed with Dementia's disease 3ys ago. I promised I would look after her, but I am exhausted and my job makes me have no time to rest.I really don’t know where to start especially as she keeps saying she doesn’t need any help. What can I do?Ermm

Although I do not know how serious is your mom's dementia...

I think it is best for you to have a short break from all the responsibilities. it is hard to care for someone while being tired and when things get mixed up, we would have a higher tendency to be sensitive and in a negative mood. 

Would your mom feel at ease when you are juggling around here and there.. sometimes we need to take a few steps back in order to give more.  

But like other mentioned, I also would highly suggested that you look for some that could substitute your place. Some one that knows at least how to care for dementia patients and more importantly someone that you can rely onto..

i couldn't agree more with you. Thing is in Malaysia, the community is not familiar with home2home service. They usually just send their loved ones to hosp/care centre and all that. People should be aware that there is a 3rd option
planetuntiil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planetuntiil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by didicempaka didicempaka wrote:

He could.. But i would suggest DONT. As you mentioned dementia is a serious disease so dementia patients should be monitor and taken care of properly. I doubt that housemaid would be qualify to take care of dementia patients believe me. Last time my maid ran away because she cant take it any longer taking care of my in law.Cry

Definitely no maids in this case. What OP needs is a professional nurse/caretaker. Came across this website the other day https://www.caregiverasia.com/?locale=en-MY Can try to check the services there
meena84 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote meena84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 12:12pm
I have heard of such services been promoted online. But do caregiverasia provide similar service in Malaysia like they do in Singapore?  
Kuruma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kuruma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:18pm

Where do you find the part timer? Hows the price rate? Based on hour or 1 time serve? Its may be really helpful if people can find someone with health and medical major though

Well...like I said, we were very lucky. she's a family friend for a long time. But I think in this case something like caregiver can help alot.  
2cent View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2cent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2018 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by shadajie shadajie wrote:

It was 2 years ago at Melaka and went viral. But come to think of it, try to imagine what happens to all those victims that were not viral. I figure there must be a lot of cases like this that are not known to public or media. Which scares me

Every time things like this happens it reminds me of the reasons why I will never send my love ones there 
evans View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote evans Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 12:33am
Its really saddening to read about dementia stories. Its happens to the best of people, and theres no cure to it. Kudos to you for not sending your mother to nursery homes knowing how terrible some places can be. I understand you are busy and exhausted with work but keep spending time with her, it will mean a lot
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic